PyroForum.nl

Other flashpowder´s that are used in fireworks

Hi all

I browsed around youtube and I found this video here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LzE5oiZ-D7k

Very loud, and now I am confused because I have heard that nitrates can not make good flashpowder,
even if confinement is present.

What is the flashpowder out of and which substitutes for potassiumperchlorate are used?

I thought that this banger in the video seems to be from belgique, because in the nederlands you use BP as a charge.

Thanks,

Pyrostar

Hi :P

I thought it was barium, or potassiumnitrate mixed with indian blackhead aluminium ?
Anyway, I may try potassiumpermanganate instead, is this a good report-composition?
I want to use pigment aluminiumpowder or 43micron aluminiumpowder.
My Kmno4 is airfloat.

I have some crazy plans on making these cracker´s( I thought they are called thumping thuder´s):

First, I´ll take a tube, ram a clayplug in one end, then I ram a red or green flare composition inside the tube, drill a small hole for the visco and fill the left space with Kmno4/Al ( around 5g) if the flashpowder is good enough or with other flashpowder´s then KCLO4/Al.

May this work?
The flare mixture I am using is from a crappy roadflare, this red is not that bright, but I mixed it with 50%
magnesiumpowder and the result was a very, very bright and deep red.

Advices for the flashpowder´s I can use( instead of perchlorates or nitrate´s) would be very cool.

Thanks,

Pyrostar

There is actually something like flash with potassium nitrate, but it isn't worth of being called flash unless you use really fine ingredients.

Composition:
Potassium nitrate 50%
Sulfur 30%
Aluminium (+1000 mesh) 20%

This flash is to be used in a really strong container, and should give a low pitched bang due to a relatively slow burning rate.

Hi

I can´t get my hands on such a fine aluminiumpowder( just 43micron, how much mesh is it?)

I made my magnesiumpowder myself using a drill and a sanding disk and a ball mill afterwards.
Usually I get 50g in one hour.

Any other flashpowder´s that can be used such as kmno4/Al?

I need a flashpowder that can produce a loud report with a little coarse metalpowder´s.

I can get very much Kmno4 and I want to know wether I can make a powerfull flashpowder with it.

Mixing ratio´s would be cool, too

Pyrostar

43 micron is something like 325 mesh. For aluminium flash you would need at least 600 mesh. Since magnesium is more reactive, this is likely to do the job al well in more coarse state.

With KMnO4 it is possible to oxidize almost anything, so even coarse aluminium will at least burn with a bright white flame. It is possible to produce terrible loud reports with potassium permanganate, but your ingredients need to be very fine.
By the way, it is better to make your first flash with KClO4, since these flashes are less prone to ignition trough handling and are more stable.

Hi all

Because I have heard that Resin-Filler aluminiumpowder is not good enough, I want to use paint-aluminiumpowder.

Would that be good enough and what is the mixingratio for this flashpowder?

It is very fine and makes your fingers look like silver, also, it is airfloat.

Thanks,

Pyrostar

I have that paint aluminium powder as well, but it seems to be coated with a waxy substance. Without this coating it is very nice, therefore I'm trying to dissolve the wax in light petrol oil (wasbenzine?) and filter it.
The mixing ratio's stay the same, but finer ingredients just burn quicker when lit.

Yes its pretty fast man, what we normally make :P , what you posted @ the begining of this post, the composition is probably slower than whats in your movie.
Dutchies please correct me if i'm wrong coz i never pulled apart a "nitraat"

Hi all

I have made this flash for my first time and it went better then expected.
Now I stuck to another ratio:

3parts Kmno4
1part paintaluminium

Burns much faster and is safer( I think?) , because there is no sulfur added.
Aluminiumpowder is a bit messy, because it is airfloat and make your hands ugly and it is very hard to get rid of the dust.
I am sneezing silvery aluminiumpowder in my kleenex :P

Pyrostar

If you have trouble finding good Al-powder, you could switch to whistle mix instead of flash . It doesn't produces a bright flash, but gives realy loud reports! There are a lot of salts that can be used as a reductor in these compositions, like sodiumbenzoate, gallic acid etc, witch are a lot easier to find, or synthised yourself! :P

Definitley invest in a good respirator before buying any more chems. Obviously you are being exposed to dangerously small metal particles. In the original Wizard of Oz movie the tinman's makeup was made of aluminum powder. He died shortly after do to his lung damage.

I do believe it is better to use a less efficient flash than to have to worry about the dangers of permanganate flash. You mentioned you have magnesium powder. Why not try the old 50:50 mix of KNO3:Mg? It has proven well enough for well confined salutes. You may need to get something stronger down the way if you get into crossettes or something, but for a banger you'll be fine.

Hi

I am not exposed to it all the time, because I store this powder in my gardenhouse.
I was in the house for 5min with a minimal exposure of the aluminiumpowder.

I am fine and I can get air easy, and my snot isn´t a little glittery anymore.

Well, Ok I am not really for M80, my favourite salutes are Polumnas.

I am on finding out what is the best flashpowder for this purpose.
That is why i tried out the Kmno4/Al flashpowder.

And I also got my new respirator today.

Pyrostar

Hi all

I tried the nitrate flashpowder formula that were listed here.
I did a few tests with KNO3/mg (1,5g-2g in each salute).
This flashpowder can be very powerfull and very loud, when the right confinement is present :P

Anyway, here are the videos:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=16nj-gMbSNo

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MirIKhYIOcY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qBoYzGW0OU8

And the loose flashpowder burning unconfined:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3H3xwMPTV0

Greets,

Pyrostar