PyroForum.nl

M80 with exotic flashpowder

I think it still really depends on the reducant, meaning Mg, but yeah i didn't know CaCO3 was better then KNO3, since mine KNO3 flashpowder with fine Mg, doesn't nearly get to the speed asthe flash powder in your video.(with the CaCO3)

but yeah i didn't know CaCO3 was better then KNO3,
In fact it isn't. CaCO3 is NOT an oxidiser. I'm wondering what it is he used.
(CaCO3 decomposes in CaO and CO2 at really high temperatures, CaO reacts with water forming Ca(OH)2.)

Pyrostar, what is this oxidiser your'e using? And where did you get it from? :P Maybe we can determine what it is.

Oops, read the text to fast, so it was calciumcarbonate he used?
In my foolish fast reading and typing, i thought he meant CaNO3.

Then it is indeed very weird. :P

In fact it isn't. CaCO3 is NOT an oxidiser. I'm wondering what it is he used.
(CaCO3 decomposes in CaO and CO2 at really high temperatures, CaO reacts with water forming Ca(OH)2.)

CaCO3 IS an oxidiser :P .
Well, at least the carbonate ion is::
CO3(2-) + Mg ---> CO + MgO + O(2-)
or even
CO3(2-) + 2Mg ---> C + 2MgO + O(2-)

I don't think Ca2+ would oxidise magnesium (calcium is more reactive than magnesium) but at high temperatures other factors (such as volatility) might influence this.

Nevertheless I find it a unique composition! Never thought that mixture would give those results; but with magnesium you never know, of course :)

hiya,

Well these are just my 2 cents but, I watched the video on youtube and after that I checked out the rest of his vids, and there I found this one :

Video

He's using CaSO4 here, maybe thats what he calls chalk... Because he hasn't confirmed it was CaCO3, and every1 is just talking about CaCO3

Cya,

Night Hawk

Pyrostar I am sorry, but this seems to be a bit kewlish. You didn't mention anything of how you made it except for that it is a mixture of magnesium powder and blackboard chalk You didn't even try to find out what the chalk is definitley made of so that makes it very hard to duplicate for others across the net looking at this. Lastly, we already have a flashpowder thread and a salute thread and don't want pyroforum.nl to be another one of those kewl sites. Please use the threads that we already have and keep the place neat.

(To the mods: If this seams out of place please delete.)

Anyways. Mg is very reactive. The use of carbonate oxidizers has been proven in other compositions as well. It can also be lit and sustain a "flame" through a block of dry ice.

Also, what is this way you found to powder Mg?