PyroForum.nl

Flash core stars

Hello guys

Several times by now I came accross those stars which are rolled around flash or crackle core - very interesting indeed. Anybody ever tried to make those? If yes, what composition would be recommended for core?
And please, try not to mention exotics like Titanium or Bismuth or something even worse...

Blaf

Exhile my Man

Where do you come from anyway? And where do you purchase Ba(NO3)2 - from a pyro supplier or what? Whatever it is, I consider you to be much more fortunate than my humble self. Unfortunately, Barium salts are as much exotic for me as any of those elements I listed in my previous post...

Blaf

I don't know if there are any ceramics around your neighbourhood, but it could be rather possible they sell BaCO3. It ain't to hard to make Ba(NO3)2 from that. (HNO3 or NH4NO3 should work).

Btw, we don't have any pyro suppliers here in our little country :wink: (even though I heard a rumour we're getting one. :roll: )

I hope my Englsih ins't too bad, my spelling checker is broke.

No problem Ananas, your english is perfect. As for ceramics supplier here, well, they do sell tiles and glues and that's it. Incredible how those salesman know little about chemistry...they actually know nothing of what they sell...just a price tag.

Blaf

Ba(NO3)2 can be made by 2 easy ways(the ways that i use and know)

First one: BaCO3+2HNO3--->Ba(NO3)2+H2CO3(the H2CO3 will most likely fall apart in H2O and CO2)

Second way: BaCO3+2NH4NO3--->Ba(NO3)2+2NH3+H2CO3(watch out for ammonia vapours, the H2CO3 will most likely fall apart to)

BaCO3 can be bought at several places, just search a lot for it