PyroForum.nl

Flash powder

Blaf

Helo guys

Long time no hear from me heh? I confess, I neglected this hobby in favour of other aspects of my life. And here, the story goes...

So far I've been using Potassium Permanganate flash, when I needed it, that is. Recently I ordered some chems from...mumble, mumble, mumble...and among other beauties, I've got Potassium Perchlorate and what else but German Dark Aluminium. Mixing those two gives the best flash I've ever witnessed in my ignorant life. The ratio by weight for this flash is well known, 70:30 (Perc:Al) which makes innocently looking gray powder. But even a smallest pile I could scoop and set off produced an audible "thump" instead of low "whump". Blind spot remained in my eye for a few minutes.
One small cracker is made to verify in practice final quality of the product but it's not fired yet, which means – report follows soon.

Blaf

p.s. See my last posts in Pyro devices / Firecracker topic

Hi Blaf,

It has indeed been a while since youre last visit. Welcome back!

Perchlorate/GD flash is indeed a very fast and powerful flash! But like many other also sensitive to friction. So please watch out while handeling these compositions! They should not be underestimated. :D But I guess you're not the one I should be telling this to. Anyway, can't wait to see some pictures or something. :P

Hi

It is a very powerfull stuff, you are right.
I have too much respect of it and my maximum charge was 2,5g.
I got it from Birdbangers once.
I wish I have some myself, because I just use Kmno4/Mg or Kmno4/Al/S and thats not a good flashpowder compared to KClO4/Al.

What about using it in a Polumna?
I love them and they are the safest salutes to make.

I am looking forward to see some pictures or videos, too.

Regards,

Pyrostar