PyroForum.nl

Aerial shell

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to make good blue, try to make this compo.

Kaliumchloraat - 6,50 (KClO3 - Pottasium chlorate)
Koperoxide - 1,00 (CuO - Copper oxide)
Parlon - 0,50 (??? - Parlon)
Dextrine - 1,50 (??? - Dextrine)
Maizena - 0,50 (??? - starch? )

They're amazing :) ! How many inches were your shells, how heavy, and how many and what kind of burst charge did you use ?

They are really very nice. I hope you can tell us a bit more on how you constructed them exactly and what compositions you used.

Keep up the good work !

Ok, let's start.

All shells were 2.5", canister type. They weighed 190g-200g and were lifted 15g-18g of granulated BP (10 mesh). For the break I used 20mesh granulated BP this was placed in the centre of the shell (A tubes is used to centre the break and the stars are placed around the tube then the tube is slowly pulled out leaving a core of burst. To prevent the core of burst to get lost all over the shell between the spaces of the stars I put some green mix in by the stars so all the spaces are filled, this is done when the tube with the burst is in the shell).

Oh yes, for the fuse I used a spollette (paper tube rammed with BP, I used a 3 second delay, about 2.5cm of powder). I never crossmatch my spollettes as they take fire really easily and they have a nice jet of flames coming from them when they burn so you can film them easiliy.

For the stars I used a white star formula (made with hardwood charcoal, beech to be exact).

KNO3 - 72%
S - 29%
C - 3%
Dex - 5%

The shells were then spiked with the aid of a spiking horse. When spiked I pasted the shell with a thin layer of white glue so the strings were glued to the shell. After this is dried I pasted the shell by wraping it in a paper strip that has been pasted with wheat paste.

I hope this helped.

Yes, thanks alot :) ! But, what is exactly a ''canister'' ? Cilinder shape ? I google'd a bit but I found a several different things...
And 200 gram is alot man ! Nice work getting those thing high up in the sky that well. What your mortar tube is made from ? And where did you find it ?

Well, the Aerials look very very nice, PGF..!
And yes, you can replace Parlon for PVC, but if you do that, use a 'lil bit more..

I do have your site in my favourites (peteling.gozdis.si isn't it?), but, there are so less photos.. why?

Duvel.. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey everyone, after a short break from pyro I'm back with some shells :)

Here's a pic, I'm going to fire them tommorow and post vids here.
The three small ones are 50mm and the two big ones are 75mm. The 75mm are comet shells with 33 chrysanthemum comets in them and BP break. The small ones have a mix of stars in them. 1 has better pearl streamers in it and the other two have a mix of white and chrysanthemum stars. All small ones have BP as break and a tea spoon of grnaulated whislte as booster and they are only spiked vertically.

Enjoy