PyroForum.nl

Cut Star Loaf Box

I made a loaf box, inspired by the one on Passfire.
It consist of a box, roughly 80x120x100mm, and is smaller at the bottom in order to get the star loaf out.
Also a rammer with a handle from an awl and a block of wood filled with lead in each side to make it heavier (I covered the lead with some white coloured filler).
I havn't tried it out yet, though. But I think it will work just fine, even though the scrap wood I used is crooked by being in the humid garage :D
It was treated with some kitchen table oil so the wood won't get ruined.

Here are some pics, with some recycled kraft on the walls of the box in order of easy removal of the star loaf.

Edited by pudidotdk

Hi, it's generally a box where damp composition is rammed in using the square rammer in increments.
The box is then turned upside down so you have a loaf of star composition, which you slice like bread. You then cut each slice of "bread" like you normally cut stars :D

Hmm, that looks like a very nice tool for mass production of cut stars. I guess it is not suitable for schellac, pvc or parlon bound stars (sticky stuff) ? I saw a similar apparatus in Shimizu's book, and the text said it was a typical American way to cut stars that way.

Edited by miech
  • 3 months later...

When a man does great things he inspires others to do the same.

I haven't got a clue if thats a saying or something that popped into my head 5 minutes ago, but it isn't really that important. Because great saying or just an asprin to much, it sure is true today. Taking for granted that you're Loaf Box qualifies as a great thing, that is.

Starting with only hope, dreams of glory, some nails and wood that most people wouldn't even think of as good enough to put in their fireplace, I made myself a nice little Loaf Box of just over 100x100x40 outer, and 60x60x40mm inner diameter, in LWH that is. For pressing the damp composition I'm using another piece of wood, exactly 60x40x45mm in dimension, but since I couldn't find a fancy handle like yours in the dump that was once know as my garage, I choose to gently tap it with a rubber mallet. Also, to make up for my lack of fanciness I spraypainted both pieces of the box cream white shine, oh yeah. :)

Yesterday I tried my Loaf Box for the first time with about 50 grams of the 26th glitter composition kindly shared with us by the gentleman Robert Winokur and it worked just great. Mesa berry heppy. :)

But before I can say my thanks and cheers, I would like to ask you what water/composition ratio you're using for cut stars. I myself am using 0,65ml/g now, but I wonder what others do and what, if any, is the "official" standerd.

Thank to Pudi for inspiring me on making a Cut Star Loaf Box and cheers to all the guys and galls out there.

Maybe I'll post some pictures later on.

• 3 weeks later...