PyroForum.nl

Another odd way to make BP

Pyrostar

Hello all :P

Because I am lack of a ball mill and I haven´t got the right materials for build one, I want to make BP
another way.
I simply want to take a jar out of stainless steel, put some nuts in it ( the half way full), add a mixture of
15% C and 10% S in it, and start shaking for 5 minutes.
I put some charcoal in it and did a test, I started shaking for 2 minutes and the result was airfloat charcoal.
After shaking the mixture I want to make BP with the CIA-method.

Is it possible to make a good BP with this method?
I mainly want to use this BP as a lift charge.

Any advices would be nice,

Pyrostar

I mostly just put fine pottasium nitrate, C and S into a pvc jar filled with steel media, and shake it works great and you will get very good qaulity mp (maybe it is even bp). Than you could follow the procces by the CIA method but I dont think that is really needed just put 5% of dextrine in it and coat rice hulls with it.
After that let it dry for 2 days or so and you have a real nice lift for shells stars or whatever you want to get up into the sky.

I mostly just put fine pottasium nitrate, C and S into a pvc jar filled with steel media, and shake it works great and you will get very good qaulity mp (maybe it is even bp).

You can't make BP by just milling KNO3, C & S together.. MP becomes only real BP if you press it together to exactly 1.7 g/cm³.

The idea is to first make some high quality meal powder and then - slightly wetted - press that to 1.7 g/cm³ with something like a hydralic press. If you don't have one, which I concider to be very likely, the best way to make very fast meal is the following:
Mill it for at least 8 hours, of which the first 4 dry and the second four hours slightly wet and then press it any way you can. (Putting your meal powder in a little aluminium foil package, spray it with water and then let it stand under something like an aquarium, stash of wineboxes or anything really really heavy for about 7 days will do just fine) Finally you'd do best by making it into pulverone, this way you will get some very nice MP, but you still can't call it BP, of course.

Hmm, a test in the dark isn't much of a way to see if your MP is good enough for whatsoever, maybe you could tell us how much it was? That would make it much more easy to judge.
Guessing this is about 1 gram, I'd say it's just fine, but if you want to use it as liftingpowder you should try making pulverone of it, that could increase the burnrate up to 200%. :P

It is meal powder dude, it's not pressed at several tons per square inch and crumbled...
I think it is too slow for most applications that require some power, but it looks usable for rockets, fountains and maybe a small cracker. I would suggest to put it in a ballmill for at least 4 hours, but I suppose you don't have one, do you?

That looks a lot better. This is suitable for lifting shells, and probably for breaks of larger shells.

Who says it is not pressed? I mean he say it is bp.
I just shook it for one minute, wetted with water.
It is just plain meal, not granulated.
Geen uitleg nodig lijkt me :P .