PyroForum.nl

Torsion Jig

Blaf

I've made a simple jig, holder or whatever you name it....as to simplify making of twisted propeller wings. This time I used wooden sticks (those ones used by doctors, you say AAAAA and they press your tongue down with it...) that you can buy at drug stores almost for nothing.

href>
The jig is of simple construction, plastic holders mounted on brass rod of 5mm dia. fastened conveniently at certain angle (approx. 90 deg.) against each other.

href>
Wooden stick has to be slid into one side first...

href>
Then goes another side in....torsion should be carefully applied as not to break the stick.

href>
Moisten the cetral portion of the stick (some 60% of overall lenght) and leave it to dry. That's it...

href>
The stick remains twisted after drying and could be glued to tourbillion body with (in this case) hot melt glue or wood glue. And yes, I was cheating here...this piece of fuse is original Chinese Visco taken out from a small flash-pot. At the time of making this tourbillion, I hadn't got my fuse machine made yet...

Blaf

You could use it as a gyroscope on a rocket, the rocket will spin around and will fly more straight than if you fly without. I think you can use it as pole on the rocket or you glue it on the nose of the rocket like a helicopter, the only problem will be that it slows the rocket down or it will break off. If the rocket stops burning and you don't have a payload the rocket will turn down to earth like a descending helicopter.

What a wooden stick can do...

NG

• Upvote 1

I don't think this is a good idea. Rockets usually have very strong thrust and speed up very quickly so any stabilizers mounted laterally would break for sure and fall off. Especially these sticks of light wood. Sorry for dissappointing you...

Blaf

No, glue has nothing to do with this. I moisten it with tap water. Or you can wrap it up with moistened tissue paper and leave it for ten minutes so that wood soaks the water up. Then you can remove paper and leave the stick in the jig to dry. Comprende?

Blaf

• 1 month later...