PyroForum.nl

Pyro Bio

So this isn't the same as an introduction thread. More of a summary of your experiences as a pyro. We don't need another 15 chapter "Diary of a Pyro". Here you can include whatever you want about yourself as a pyro and just as easily omit what you don't want known. This is just to get a better understanding of our community.

Name: you can call me deadman
The rest:

Well I first got into pyro very young. My babysitter showed my the hairspray+lighter trick when I was about 7 years old. I freaked out the first time she made me do it, but went home and did it again.

In the 8th grade (13-14 years old) I started reading archives of the explosives and weapons forum. I also unfortunatley got a digital copy of the anarchist cookbook. Within a year I was making smoke bombs and such. Also the occasional backyard petrol fires. A friend had a sandbox from when he was little and we poured petrol on the sand and lit it, then proceeded to flip the gas at eachother creating small fireballs that went out when they hit you. I went through a troubeled stage and skipped school one day. Two friends and I went to one of their houses and had a sparkler fight. Occasional match wars at night as well. Burned holes in our shirts and his linoleum floor. Then my friend John and I went through the arson stage. Arson victims include a small dead grass field next to my elementerary school, a truck that had dead brush in the back, and finally the (thank god) demise of my arson stage a trash can at a local department store. After lighting the trash can on fire we ran across the parking lot into a Toys R' Us and started playing video games. The local authorities had us in handcuffs promptly.

Then I took a break and only read for quite a while. With a new sense of maturity and a job, I started true pyro. I also had moved to Bakersfield during this time. Mojave desert in California if some aren't familiar. Very hot, dry climate during the summer. Low rain during winter and when it does it's thunderstorms. I got my KNO3 in the form of stump remover. My cousing who is an avid hunter gave me a few pounds of smokeless powder. I then bought a rock tumbler/ball mill. Bought sulfur at a local hydroponics store. Tried activated charcoal :P . Had to make my own ;) not great but better. Acquired more and more chems. Started making fountains, rockets and other true pyro devices. Then I got into flash salutes for a little while. First permanganate that I got for free from my school, then perchlorate which I ordered. Time marches on.

Upon turning 18 I moved back to my hometown Salinas. Near the monterey bay in California. Now I use eucalyptus charcoal (sucks for lift btw). Started making stars here. Got into aerial shells and the more advanced parts of pyro. Also I bought a real set of pyrotooling a la Greg Boyd. Things are going much better than my doubtful beginnings.

Well either that's all I have to say or I'm tired of typing. Let's see what others have to say.

Edited to change birthdate.

This is a nice idea indeed but I want to point out to everyone that is going to post here to be carefull and don't post anything that makes it too easy for the police to find you. :P

Well, as you can see I'm Prophet. :P I'm born on February 3, 1989.

EDIT:

Well, just like T I started with lighting small fires and small commercial fireworks when I was alot younger. Allready then I liked a nice big kaboom. :P When I finally learned about chemistry on school I started to get interessed in the chemistry of everything. I searched on the internet and read alot, especially about fireworks, explosives and related subjects. Then a friend of mine who also was very interessed in such things showed me some nice sites like E&W and chemixtry. I also got atracted to the other site of the bangs, the intriging yet not so difficult chemistry behind it and I learned about other beautifull stuff I could do/make with my knowledge which had nothing to do with explosives etc. Not much later I bought a whole lot of glassware and basic chemicals to start doing some syntheses myself. I soon got the hang of it and since then I've made some nice collection of explosives/pyro compositions and even some drugrelated substances.

If I remember anything else that I want to say soon, I'll just edit my post again. ;)

Well, let's start my addition to this thread.

Name: Tyneman.
B-day: Somewhere in the fall, born about 30-something years ago

Started like the most of us lighting small fires when in gradeschool. But never been really into pyro when I was young.
Then in school got hooked on chemistry. Started experimenting and ended up doing small pyro-thingies. Mostly flame colouring and some small fountains.
Then went to labortory school, got a bit more serious on cemistry and swaped my interests from pyro to drugs. For usage just weed, but for experimenting (synthesis, purity testing) more 'hard' stuff too.
Then got to work at a school. So drugs are out of the question. Except for my smokage. ;) Then had to make a little chemistry show to attract new students, but I didn't like the old version they were doing. So I got back to my pyro roots and made it bigger and better :P
Now every year I make a different show, a bit more spectacular every time. This gives me a good excuse to do a lot of testing on the pyro-side at work. Where I have a complete (though old) lab and all the glassware and chems I need.
I myself live in the middle of the city, so no place to set off my creations around. Neither have a car so the big stuff I do verry rarely.
What I really like is making differnt compositions and just testing them in real small batches. The bigger mortars will have to wait.
I sometimes make a little rocket or two, but not that many.
On occasions a few good bangers, fountains or gerbs. But most thing I do is just testing a lot.
Same goes for HE's. I only make real small batches of as many different HE's as possible. Just so I can set it off in the school garden and not have the cops come for me. :P
It's all about the feeling of completing a good synthesis, not about the biggest bang for me.

FYI pyro IS illegal in holland. So we don't have the possibilities and clubs you have in the US. Finding a safe place to set a couple of shells off can be damn hard. On that note, I don't have to fear for police that much. I only have small amounts of chems at home. And hardly ever a finished device.
All that doesn't hurt, 'cause in the now so popular "War on terror" the dutch police sees us pyro's as a huge threat to society. Not realistic, and unfair. But a fact of nowaday life.

Gr33tZ

It's all about the feeling of completing a good synthesis, not about the biggest bang for me.
You could be me.. ;)
I just dont have all the chems, but every time I find out that I have chems for a particular synth, I usually start the synth the same day. (Wow, one sentence, four times the word "I")

I'll tell my story later, its dinnertime! :P

My name is Bas, that's all I will post here. :)

Birthday: March 20 1991

My Bio:

When I was about 12 I started making fires everywhere I could. Not really everywhere like homes and stuff but just wooden logs in a pit. I also liked bangs and fireworks, so I combined them.

I started looking for websites to make (k3wl)bombs, I never wanted to make them because it was too easy and lame. Then I got into Secondary School (Not sure if this is the right name for "Middelbaar onderwijs", please correct me if I'm wrong.) and had Chemistry as a subject. That's when I decided to do a bit of experimenting myself. I didn't really do much because of my parents.

Then I saw some smokebombs on Google Video and started to search for ways to make them and came to this site. I read the mainpage a few times and didn't realise there was also a forum. When I did I signed up and that's when all the chaos started. ;)

I still don't have permission to do lots of stuff but I'm good for now. Between now and summervacation I do have permission for making a rocket with payload. I have to make something for Chemistry so I used this as an excuse to make one. :P

Well, this is all. (for now)

Greets

The schoolstructure in US is somewhat different from what we're used to in Belgium and the Netherlands. The best approach for what we would call "middelbaar onderwijs" is high school. The first two year when we're in our so called "middelbaar onderwijs" we would be in junior high iirc. But whatever, it isn't THAT important eh. :)

Mr. S, that must be one good dinner to last this long.

The american school system starts at "kindergarten". Following is 1st through 12th grade. When one enters Kindergartern they are age 5 and usually 6 upon graduation. So when 12th grade goes by they enter as 17 and graduate at 18. I made a mistake back in the 6th and am going to graduate at 19. K-6 are generally elementerary school grades. 7&8 are junior high school. Some school districts end elementerary at 5th and 6th through 8th are called middle school. 9-12 are high school. Once in high school there are also titles for whatever grade you are in. 9=freshman, 10=sophomore, 11=junior, 12=senior. The same names are given in college, but instead of 13-16 it is 1st-4th all over again. I don't know why I typed all that, as Prophet said, "It isn't THAT important."

Mr. S, that must be one good dinner to last this long.
Yeah, it surely was a good dinner. ;) But I also forgot this topic somewhat.

Well, my pyro bio...
You all know the beginning, as a little kid, fascinated by fire and fireworks blah blah. :P So, my story is different. In the beginning I was scared of firworks, I didn't want to light it myself, and I always stayed close to my mother watching it. This was about 10 years ago, so I was six years old. Off course I loved the effects, but only from far away when they're not scary.
Right, when I was 10, I started lighting fireworks myself at newyears eve, and I really liked it. Every year I bought more. Well, you all know the large heap of fireworks, with fuses together in a circle, then some black powder from a cracker is thrown in the middle, and a broken cracker is added. When you light that cracker, it'll light the black powder, which will licht the fuses, and all fireworks goes off at almost the same moment.

Well, that's what started my pyrotechnic obsession. I often took a sheet of cardboard, and mounted some fireworks on it. All fuses were connected with fuses I ripped out of crackers. That was fun, it never worked as i wanted, but it always gave a nice show.

Well, about 2 years ago, I was googling (nice verb eh? :)) on "making fireworks", and I found HSlab. Yeah, the crappy site owned by Harold. There some members talked about GameKeeper, and as I entered that in google, I found this site. There I started reading things, learning things, and I also started buying chems. First package of chemicals was 4Kg of pure KNO3 from a dutch rocketry shop. Well, as my story is getting kinda very long, I'll make it quick from now.

Half a year ago it really started. After too much failed attempts in making a ballmill, my grandfather gave me one. He had used it for polishing stones, but it was no more in use now. Off course he knew that I wanted to make blackpowder in it, and it was okay. At this time I had made about everything I could with H3, so this was just a step to more easy and cheaper fireworks. (KClO3 is expensive, KNO3 is dirt cheap.) I also bought cardboard roundshell halfs, from 2'' to 4''. Already had a 2'' mortar, so the firing started! Yeah! :) Stars worked better, shells got up higher, breaks got bigger and better. Now I've also got a 4'' mortar, and have already fired one 4'' shell. The break wasn't perfect, but quite impressive. I haven't made more after that, since school is eating my spare time. I'll start over in summer holidays. You'll be seing some of my new creations then.

That's it, now it's time to practise my drum fills. See you later!