PyroForum.nl

CuC2

I prepared copper(I)-acetylide by bubbling acetylene gas through a solution of copper(I)chloride in ammonia (aq). Here you can see the test of 0,1g unconfined Cu2C2. It`s a red brownish powder and decomposes violently when heated.
It`s safer than copper(II)-acetylide (CuC2) but much stronger!
The black residue is copper(II)-oxide (CuO).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5nbFXhbFFY

Edited by Pyroe@gle

How did you found out it was safer but stronger my lighting a small pile? You must be an expert! When I want to test such statements it takes a lot of friction and shock tests, along with brisanty tests carefully comparing it to Ag2C2.

I'm just kidding, but you get my point. Any refernences or experiments that comfirm your statements? :D

I tried this a couple of times with no success, using copper(II)sulfate in plain water in staid. Any explanation why it only seems to work in ammonia solutions? And have you done any special precautions keeping it water free during filtration and storage? It seems to decompose rather quickly otherwise.

I've made this explosive a few months ago, just on a test tube scale but it wasn't making so much noise as this batch does.... I was allway's using a solution of copper(II) chloride in amonia.

I discovered it decomposes under "high UV radiation. Leaving it in the sunlight for a few hours it was getting real black instead of red.

Edited by pyrobass