PyroForum.nl

Nitrocellulose

Aceton is not the same thing as thinner.

Wel iam not sure about replacing it, you could try.
I dont think it will actually dissolve the NC maybe it wil turn it in a gel like substance.
Could you explain to me what your point is, aceton is a very " easy to get " chemical, why would you want to use anything else.

Aceton can be found in nailpolishremover, which your mother or sister might be using to remove the polish from there nails, in fact you might even have it in your own house. Or can be obtained very easily.

grtz

Edited by User1

Hello User1

I've got to correct you in this matter - namely, nailpolish remover is not pure acetone, it's mixed with fair quantity of etheric oils and other ingredients and I deeply doubt it's sufficient to get ping-pong balls dissolved. Pure acetone (industrial grade) can be purchased in paint shops or art shops and should cost less than 10 Euro per liter. I bought mine at art shop, it's 98% pure and works perfectly.

Blaf

If we are thinking of trhe same "thinner", it's the stuff used to thin cellulose lacquer (nitrocellulose lacquer with some resins in it) which contains acetone, toluene and ispropanol. It would work, but I would think that just pure acetone would be better? Not sure of how toluene dissolves NC.

• 4 weeks later...

nail varnish remover contains amyl acetate as well as acetone in uk hence smell of pear drops . toluene will dissolve cellulose it is one of the only solvents for ptfe it is only available on a very restricted sale basis . acetone should also be available from any supplier of fibre glass (polyester) resin.it is used to clean off resin . they also stock aluminium powder. if from a paint suppliers then it is listed as cellulose thinners.other paint solvents such as white spirit etc are of no use . An alternative is petrol . petrol is one of the few solvents for vaseline or petroleum jelly . I use it at 40g/litre to slow combustion of bp in rocket motors