PyroForum.nl

First Very Good Black Powder

Hi

As nearly every one of you know that I have finished my ball mill,
I have made some BP with it.

The BP is very good and I am really satisfied with the ressults.
All the BP batches were milled for roughly one hour.

Here is plain meal powder:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZRO0COye04o

And here is a 5g pile of corned BP:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ksGHxVNFJis

it may sound odd, but to corn it, I added a bit of water to the BP, stick it to the walls of the jar, and ball milled it for 2 hours.
Then I got a extremely hard chunk of the BP, and I needed to smack the BP-chunk with a hammer, because it was so hard.
The BP grains were 2-3mm big.

I would be glad about a few comments.

Greets,

Pyrostar

How that must feel great.
It is such a lovely feeling that all the efford finaly shows it is worth it.
Nice Bp , why not try alcohol instead of water ?
Why not mill for a day or so, it will improve the quality a lot.

Anyway good job :)

That's some very well made blackpowder! I hope to get myself a ballmill soon ( :) ) and see if I could match that. For a 2 hour mill-time you've done very very well!

Could you tell a bit more about how much media you've used, how much blackpowder you milled in one time and the volume of your jar?

That looks like some nice powder, as expected with willow charcoal. I was wondering why you didn't mill it for some longer, the optimum between milling time and performance is around 6 hours of milling (with lead media in a rock tumbler). Anyhow, this is a sufficient quality for lifting and breaking powder.

Hi

I pre-milled the charcoal,the charcoal is reduced from large chunks( 3cm) to airfloat in 20 minutes now, since I
use bigger rollers, the jar does rotate faster now.Then I get the ball mill in my gardenhouse, connect the wires
to the accumulator, and run it for one hour.
The media I use are 1/2" lead balls, 200 balls for my jar.
The jar is filled 1/3 with media, and then I use so much BP-mix to fill the spaces between the
media( as usual, 100g of BP).

Then I add one spray of water from a spraybottle, close the jar and let the ball mill run for
1 hour.
I didn´t try to mill it for 2-3 hours yet, but I will do soon.
And yea, it is very good black powder, and my mill is very efficient,
that also shows that you dont need a very long milling time to get extremely fast BP ( for one hour its
actually a very crazy speed).

And it is good liftpowder, I made a 2" shell which weights 90g, and I used 7g of lift,
I will fire it tonight.
EDIT:

The shell failed, the BP was way to powerfull, the mortar blew up and the shell shattered in thousand pieces.
Maybe I should use less BP next time.
I think I will use the meal powder for rockets or helicopters :)
So far a waste of my very good silver wave stars I made.

Pyrostar

Edited by Pyrostar