PyroForum.nl

Extracting aluminiumpowder from silver paint

Hi all

Since I can not really get aluminiumpowder via internet,
I have to get it elsewhere.

I have found a spray can can with silver paint.

I guess it is aluminiumpowder with anything mixed.

How can I extract the aluminiumpowder from paint then?

Thanks,

Pyrostar

A spray can is not very handy in this case. You'd better use a normal can of silver paint. Just put your paint in een cutted colabottle. So with no ''mouth''. Now put for every 2 parts of paint, 1 part terpentine (or ehh wasbenzine :P ) The terpentine will absorb al of the shit you don't need, binders etc. After 24 houres you can pour off the upper layer, containing your terpentine and the rest of the shit you don't want. Repeat this procedure 4 timer or so. You will notice that the lower layer will become thicker after each time you have pour off a shitload. When you're ready, you must drie this smurry until it becomes hard. After that you can crumble it easily. Good luck and I hope you can understand it.

Dont forget to stir the mixture well after adding the terpentine. (Isn't this called white spirit in english or something?) If you don't stir it for about a minute, it will not absorb the binders and shit that well.

Warning: This is a very gory procedure, due to its viscosity, the terpentine with binders and shit is a very nasty liquid. It should also not be poured away through the drain, you have to hand it in as paint chemical.

(I'm really sleepy today, so my english will be very, very bad.)

Hi all :P

Proxx, your advice was true,
I asked a car-paint store wether they mix their paints themself, and they carry large amounts of aluminiumpowder there( in 10Kg bags).

So, I ask wether I can get some aluminiumpowder and they say yea and for no money :)

PS: What is the usual mesh-size of the aluminumpowder they use in paint?

Pyrostar

Hahaha no idea(told you). Wel i think if u get it for free u should not bother :P .
I assume the mesh is not very high because of health issues.because if it is it can be inhaled and get into one's bludstream ( i guess thats not good).

Alu powder for paint varies from 200 to 350 mesh. Most used is 250-300. Not suitable for sulfurless flashes, but it's really good powder for glitters and streamers. I use that powder for brilliant silver streamers. Just add some (5-10%) iron to meal to make it burn a little hotter, and add about 20-30% alu powder. Those streamers work great here.

Hi :P

They play a trick on me, don´t know why.
First they say, they have the aluminiumpowder there.

The next day when I wanted to pick it up, they laugh at me and say:
Sorry dude, we just have red pigments here.

I was so angry!

Now I have to buy it from an art shop for 3,25€ ( 5g)!

Pyrostar

• 5 months later...