PyroForum.nl

Aerial shell

A bit late, but as promised. A shell of mine.

Thisone's a 1" cilinder shell, 2½" tall. Filled with 20+ C streamers. (44/44/6 composition)
Lift: Pulverone (approx. 5g)
Break: also Pulverone. (Just filled up all the space)

Some pic's:

Unfortunaly the camera was configured for close-ups, so it's unsharp. But here's the film:
ASF_0202.ASF
Since it's unsharp, you don't see a tail with the lift, and since I also didn't see one, I lost it somewhat. But the most is on.
After the break, attractive charcoal sparks were everywhere where the break had been. Hanging there for about 5 more secs. But the camera also didn't catch that.

gr,
Stijn

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well. Inside there is a small thin tube (1 layer of paper) with the break in it, and the stars around it. (space filled up with meal and all the stuff)

Then I made 2 round pieces of thick paper, and closed the shell with that. A thin layer of hot melt glue all around the edge. Then the 5mm of the tube above that is folded over, and held for some time untill the melt glue hardens. Et voilla, your shell is closed.

It's the way described on Wouter Visser's page. (But my spiking's better :P)

• 2 months later...

PGF, you Fire-King!

Amazing :mellow: This one looks like a commercial shell! Perhaps you have a pre-launch-picture of this miracle? Or can you just reveal the secret of that wonderfull break without having to kill me? What was the mass of the pyrotechnic load? Wish mine 'll look like that some day :rolleyes:

It was a plastic shell, i glued the halves together with cyanoacrylate glue, this makes the bond VERY strong. After that, 2 layers of craft paper were pasted on to make the shell even stronger. For burst i used simple granulated BP, no flash booster was used.

The shell weighed i think around 150-160g and i lifted it with 15g of pressed williow black powder.

I attached a picture of the shell

Is it my eyes playing tricks on me, but do I see some fiberglass strapping tape underneath your kraft? I really like the fact you use spolettes, seams so.....traditional. Very cool.

No, no fiberglass straping tape was used, it is my craft paper, i get my craft from a paper store and it has those lines which indicate in which direction the grain of the paper is running.

Thanks for the comments.
  • 4 months later...