PyroForum.nl

Firecracker

Blaf

Have you ever considered to make a simple Firecracker? No? It couldn't be simpler than it is. Of course, it takes some skill and two hands...third one would not hurt either. First, we'll make a tube rolled of craft paper...I used plastic dowel of 7mm to roll this example. Width of the paper strip is 7cm while lenght exceeded 30cm...some neoprene glue goes at end of the strip.
href>

And we have a nice rolled tube standing, waiting to be filled by that KMNO4 flash older than some of you reading this...
href>

Bottom end is plugged by tissue paper rammed and soaked in wood glue.
href>

Simple stand - plastic crocodile clamp holds the tube while piece of fuse is being bandaged by narrow strip of tissue paper up to inner diameter of the tube.
href>

Fuse goes in...and a few inner layers of paper are folded around it. A drop of wood glue ends the story.
href>

Finished device ready to be fired...
href>

This is all to it...

Blaf

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, I can fire it somewhere but can't make video clip for now. I'm waiting for my friend with digital camera and we'll make something. As for my images, I have an exclusive contract with Mr.Somebody to use fair portion of certain server...it's because I do it far more often than others. As for black borders, I don't know why would they have one at all. Wait, I recall now...when I was uploading my images on Imageshack server, they offered an option to resize image for use on forums or so....those undersized images used to have black borders. Maybe you talk about that, heh?

Blaf

I allways resize my pictures with the programm Paint Shop Pro (7), if you know how to work with thet programm, it's very, very useful, you can make the nicest images with it, but enough about that.

About your crackers, Blaf, I saw that you only put the fuse (with paper around it) in, and don't add glue on it, it seems that it will 'plop' out instead of a nice bang.

when I've got more time, I'll post an image of one of my crackers, to show you how I glue the fuse in.

Stijn

oh oh, I really have to read things better, sorry for that.

here are some pictures from my crackers:

The tube and the fuse:

The fuse, wrapped in craft paper, with toilet-paper around it:

A close-up "action picture" from the cracker being glued.

And last but not least, the result:

I always put in the fuse-side first, because its the most work.

hope you liked my pic's 8)

Stijn

Good evening everybody, my first post here.

Blaf, your cracker looks very nice, i make similar ones but somewhat bigger and with Black powder

Size shown is a bit smaller than it actually is, they are big indeed.

The main object here is to plug the ends REALLY well, i use some sort of cement which dries in 10minutes and makes rock hard plugs that will stay in the tube no matter how crappy your BP is. The explosion is a deep boom which is a characteristic of black powder.

Good evening everybody, my first post here.  

Blaf, your cracker looks very nice, i make similar ones but somewhat bigger and with Black powder

Size shown is a bit smaller than it actually is, they are big indeed.

The main object here is to plug the ends REALLY well, i use some sort of cement which dries in 10minutes and makes rock hard plugs that will stay in the tube no matter how crappy your BP is. The explosion is a deep boom which is a characteristic of black powder.

Nice, you are the webmaster of this site arend you?

PGF, this is what I call nice little device. And what's the most important, it looks so harmless, he, he, he. I presume you use commercial miner fuse for this...looks like one with plastic waterproof coating. This is what Amers call M80 type of cracker, I mean regarding its outside shape. No doubt it goes off loudly...

Blaf

p.s. And welcome, of course. By the way, what kept you this long?

Nice, you are the webmaster of this site arend you?

I am indeed.

PGF, this is what I call nice little device. And what's the most important, it looks so harmless, he, he, he. I presume you use commercial miner fuse for this...looks like one with plastic waterproof coating. This is what Amers call M80 type of cracker, I mean regarding its outside shape. No doubt it goes off loudly...

Blaf

p.s. And welcome, of course. By the way, what kept you this long?

It is indeed the fuse you mentioned, someone i know works in a quarry and he sold me a couple of meters of this fuse, it works beautifully. Once lit it will not go out. These things sound kinda scary when you let one go off in the middle of the city during new years eve. :wink:

Ps: The reason i havent' posted here before is that right after the registration here i kinda forgot about this forum (Didn't bookmark it)

I am indeed.

It is indeed the fuse you mentioned, someone i know works in a quarry and he sold me a couple of meters of this fuse, it works beautifully. Once lit it will not go out. These things sound kinda scary when you let one go off in the middle of the city during new years eve. :wink:

Ps: The reason i havent' posted here before is that right after the registration here i kinda forgot about this forum (Didn't bookmark it)

First, i have to say that your site is very good!
The info is good and the movies ect. to.

second can you make possible a movie of that cracker? :roll:
Ill like to see one in action!

(P.S. sorry for the bad english)
  • 2 weeks later...

Here it is.

http://petelin.gozdis.si/~jakal/Movies/BP%20bangor.wmv

Comments: Well it went well, the camera hasn't captured the sound very well but in fact it really wasn't that loud becouse i burried it underground (to many people were walking their dogs where my test site is so i tried to keep it quiet) but you will see the power such a device has, the dirt pile was about 40cm high and 50diameter and the banger removed quite a substantial ammount of dirt, imagen that was your hand.

I also made a couple of bangers this week and i do must say they did where realy loud 8)
They also where with permangate, maybe not the safest comp but i still have about 60 grams of it and i find it a waste to throw it in the garbage not to metion that its to dangerous for the garbagemen so ill safely destroy it :wink:

The bangers where about 7 cm long and had 1cm ID.

Pirate

Yesterday i discarded some more KMNO4 and the results where deaffening :twisted:
I first lit some legaly bought firecrackers wich i had lying around and then i lit the fuse of my homemade firecrackers and the bang was about 4-5 times louder 8)

Wel i hope i wont get caught but here in belgium you can buy fireworks legaly all year so i dont think they will make a big fus of it but ill be carefull.

Pirate

@ Blaf, when making the fire crackers, i had a question about how you make the end plugs. You said '' rammed the tissue paper and soaked it in wood-glue '' . Do you just put some tissue paper in it, ram it, and then woord glue on the top ? If i do this, the wood glue only soaks itself a few mm in the paper, not a whole cm if rammed.
Can you help me a but on how to make these ? And how long do you let the endplugs dry ?

Yellow