PyroForum.nl

Home made fuse

As far as I can see I'm the only one to open new topics here...so be it.
Anybody has an efficient recipe on how to make a good and reliable fuse? I have my own recipe that works OK but I would like to get as close to original as I can. And please do not suggest me buying a roll of Visco because it's not possible where I come from.

Blaf

Yea right...
You live in Croatia but here ya go,
Get some cotton strings from a candle shop or anything,
make sure all of the fat is off of it, dreft works ok,
wash them and let them dry,

then you make the normal BP, and bind it till it becomes a sticky mass with dextrin,
put it into something and make holes in it,
put the cotton strings true the holes and get them true the sticky mass to let them come out true a hole on the other side,
do this the whole length of you're string and return,
leave them alone drying on a warm spot( not to warm)

If you want them to be waterproof you will have to dissolve ping-pong balls into acetone,
when they are dissolved it's time to get you're rope trough it,
the Dinitrocellullose will make a waterproof coating around the fuse,
this fuse is now watertight but not elastic anymore(ytou can't bend it)

Hello Exhile
Long time no hear form you. OK, let's get back to the issue. I've got to admit that your comment wasn't much of revelation because it concerns well known Black Match making procedure. Anyhow, tnx for being there with advice.

Here is the way I do my fuse. First, you should get a tube of any universal neoprene glue. Then, you take two spoons of your meal BP and toss it into ceramic jar...or a small glass. Pour one spoon of glue over it. It should be mixed thoroughly with a spoon until entire mixture sticks into one round shaped ball which can be kneaded without sticking to your skin. It takes some time.... Then, a piece of flat glass comes handy, place the homogenous mass on it and roll a bottle of beer over it, forth and back until you get an ovally shaped flat "pancake" 1,5 - 2,0 mm thick. This is the first phase. Now, put a layer of the same neoprene glue on one side of the cake and spread a piece of gauze over so that it sticks well to it. This could sound messy but it can be done with a spatula of some kind. When it dries enough treat the other side of the cake the same way. It should be noted that gauze has to be sretched so that fibres come glued parallely along (or accross) the cake. As a matter of fact, fibres on both sides should be parallel...it increases the strenght of the final product. For more strenght, additional layer of glue can be applied on both sides. Once the cake dries completely, you can slice tiny pieces of fuse (cut between fibres) with a sharp knife. The burning rate could be slowed by adding more glue for slower or more BP for qucker fuse. The fuse itself can be bent all over to certain extent...of course, with caution. But for smaller devices and specific applications proves to be ideal - crackers for example.

And that's it. Hope this could find some use with general pyro-public. And of course, suggestions are welcome...

Blaf

• 2 weeks later...

A really simple fuse extender can be made by melting sulfur at around 250 C, then dipping cotton string in it. Just be careful if you still live with your parents. I tried this and then my mum came home and busted me because the house stank of melted sulfur. Also, when burning it, don't inhale the fumes because it's sulfur dioxide, and when it mixed with the moisture in your lung it forms sulfurous acid in your lungs. Not nice ;P

i made amateuristic fuses by using "staws" (right spelling? The tubes kids use to drink their drinks). I fill them witf a mixture of KCLO3 and sugar (2:1 ratio) Works well, in all weather conditions, even under water. A variant of the "straw" is a flexible thin tube, used for for instance aquaria. Little harder to ignit, but works very good.

This isn't a very good fuse for pyro, many pyro mixtures containt Sulphur,
Another drawback with this fuse is the huge diameter for a fuse, the gas that is formed will go away true the huge opening, the gas can go away so you're effect is gone.

I deeply doubt that Nugstar's sort of fuse works at all. It maybe does but not as a real fuse. C'mon, don't tell me that simple cotton string soaked in a melted Sulphur burns through tightly squeezed paper tube or something that requires snug fit...OK, it burns on open space (releasing that choking gas) but to make it burn through tight holes it takes providing it with oxidizer first and a bit of fuel. Only Sulphur and cotton will not suffice for serious use, right?

Blaf

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I know a pretty easy-to-make electrical fuse made from speaker wire and steel wool (the stuff painters use).
All you need to do is to strip the ends of the wire and apply the steel wool on it. You have make sure you put the wire and wool in your f.e. cracker like so:
------------------------------------ _______________________----------------------------------------------------
-------------|EEEEE|----------------|cc bbbbbb 888 bbbbbbbbbcc|-------------------------------------------------
-------------|EEEEE|=========|======88888bbbbbbbbbcc|------------------------------------
-------------|EEEEE|--------------- |cc bbbbb_888bbbbbbbbbbccc|--------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------|________________________|----------------------------------------------

speaker wire: =
clay n stuff: c
BP: b
steelwool: 8
battery: E
Air: --

Pretty weird drawing but it's basically how it goes.

Unneccesary topic bump. Wrong topic to reply in. This is about fuse, not electrical ignitors. Warned. T.