PyroForum.nl

CIA-method-Decent blackpowder?

Hi all

I am lack of a ball mill and I can make some BP, because I store all my BP and other materials in a gardenhouse now, away from my house and the neighbourhood.

Has anyone here tested the CIA-Method with succes?

I want to use it for rockets and liftpowder, because I want to make a 4" Tigertail Shell.
I won´t add any binder, because I will build a 2-ton press.

Also, are there trick´s to make the blackpowder better if it isn´t that good?

How can I make it then and what equipment should I have?

PS: A video of the resulting Blackpowder that has been made with this method would be very, very nice.

Pyrostar

Uh, you will make a 4" shell, without any shell experience? I hope you will build a lot of dummy's and start with the normal 2".
A possible improvement is to add red iron oxide, it will make your black powder burn faster.
If you are experimenting with weth stuff, you could try crimson powder, much faster than black powder. :)

Guest Rico

For people who aint got a mill, Crimson powder is great stuff for lifting shells. I say you would have to try it a few times. I bet you will be amazed! :)

Hi all

I have seen an electric table fan for 15€.
You need to build the fan together, all the parts especially the motor are seperately.
You can adjust the motor in 3 speeds: 120RPM/240RPM and 360RPM.
I have found a good wooden box and I´ll ask a weapon-store wether I can get 1Kg Leadballs from them.
I have got a gearwheel and a rope for it.
I am a bit worried how I can fix the steelrods in the woodenbox and on the motor without getting too much
friction when I want to use the ball mill.
I need some ball bearings, but I can´t get my hands on some.
I have a jar etc.

Can I use this fan for my ball mill?
Or do they tend to get very hot and fail?
Edit: Yes they tend to get very hot and fail, I learned it the hard way, because I turn on the fan
and it became very hot:(:):(
15€ was spend for nothing!

PS: I will post some pictures to the construction´s in the" Tools-Thread",
and I just ask you here and I don´t want to start a new thread.
Tyneman, if this question is not allowed in this section or whatever, you can remove it of course.

Pyrostar

Hi

I have to get a window-weeper motor.
I ask a car-yard, and they will sell some motors for 30€.
Then I have to get a 12V supply, that will cost 60€.
Then I need to get bearings and so on and that will cost 40€( including the media).
Too expensive! :)

Any way, I give back the fan to the supermarket, so that will not annoy me anymore.
I have to try out the CIA-method, but I am confused of all these different instructions in the internet.
I will buy a coffeegrinder and will grind the charcoal and the sulfur together, maybe that will make an airfloat mix.
maybe that is perfect for CIA-method.
I have seen a site in germany where someone uses 3g CIA lift for a 2" inch KNO3/Mg salute shell.
That lift was awesome! But now the site is banned, because it is illegal to make fireworks here.
And I am very corious wether I can get the same result´s with my CIA-BP.
I have also seen a video of the corned BP( added dextrin as a binder), it burned very,very fast.
Maybe I can cool the mixture down very fast using liquid nitrogen or icecubes? :P

Pyrostar