PyroForum.nl

The Black Powder Thread

The black powder thread. Post any questions or comments on black powder here. I am also wondering who likes to take what processes when making their own black powder. Here's my story:

I am in the middle of processes right now. I have been using a 3lb rock tumbler style mill with 100 .50 cal lead bullets. I just recently was given (by my girlfriend) a 1/2 HP motor. It's a beast at 24.5 pounds/ 11.11 kg. It is whisper quiet right now, but will operate a loud ball mill I'm sure. Not sure on the size of drum I will be using, but it is going to be moderatley sized. I've got a design thought for my mill to support various sized drums. I'll keep you updated if it goes through. I currently make 100g batches and make pulverone with dextrin added. I use what I believe to be weeping willow charcoal.

I have made my first succesful blackpowder batch( 30g) in my small and crappy balll mill.

Dextrin was mixed to the BP, dampened with water to make granulated BP with a spaghetti-strainer.

Here is a video of it:

Does the BP burned at a good speed???
Bp was made with willowcharcoal and was milled for 2 hours with oval fishing sinkers.

That definitley needed to be milled for a lot longer. No experience with "super-duper fast rye charcoal". Are you talking about Cocoa Powder or BP that rye was the charcoal used? Btw, instead of putting two posts in a row within 1 hour it would be best to just edit your first post.

Hi

Does it really need to be milled longer???? :)

I thought that is superfast for blackpowder. :P;)

Then need to mill the BP for 3 hours or longer???
The maximum milling time for my ball mill is 6 hours.
1. Because of my mother :)
2. Because the transformator will get quite warm.
3. My motor has got a crappy quality.

I would say it is time to build a very efficient ball mill.
PS: I cant make that much BP, since my neighbour is from the police( they looking for kids who create illegall devices, i learned it the hard way, as I was firing a 1" salute shell on new-years eve.)

Pyrostar

Caps, smileys, dubbleposts. Now it's a real warning. T.

Dear Pyrostar.

I have edited a bunch of your posts in verry little time.
You have been semi-warned to use caps in the right places and go easy on the smileys.
This time you get a real warning. (yes, dutch people on this board would've gotten one much earlier.)
Read the RULES and make sure you don't get another one in the future.
Gr33tZ

The BP in your movie looks okay for lifting small things. Just try firing a single star or a small shell some day.

Actually, it's the other way around. Slower than normal BP will lift a bigger shell just as good as fast BP, smaller things however need very fast BP to lift properly. In example a roman candle, if you use slow BP it will be shit, that starts won't fly more than a meter out of the tube, Fast BP will sound like a cannon and will send the star very high.

But, Fast BP is always better than slow so just aim to get good servicable BP that suits your needs.

Cheers.