PyroForum.nl

NC Application

Blaf

I'd like to discuss the NC Lacquer application for a while. Why? Because sooner or later someone will make his own Fuse Making Machine and will be facing the same problem. As you'll surely discover, the fuse itself is not strong enough to withstand torsion or repeated bending...threads could get loose and powder trapped between them will fall off. So, NC Lacquer should be applied, if not for esthetic reasons then for physical property of the fuse.
Next problem is quantity of lacquer to coat the fuse. If you just submerge it into NC solution and pull it out, chances are you'll end up with too much lacquer so fuse is stiff. Therefore, we should use some kind of simple die to wipe-off the excess of NC Lacquer. I made one of my own design which works perfectly.

It's made of two large washers, 30mm outer dia with 10mm inner hole. These washers are positioned flat on each other, then three symetrically positioned 3mm holes drilled around their rims. Small 3mm screws are put through and fastened so that washers are almost one piece. But before setting one above another, a piece of round shaped rubber (piece of bicycle inner hose) is set between them.

And now, we have two washers kissing each other with rubber membrane covering central 10mm hole. Membrane is drilled in the centre with suitable punch so that it hugs fuse but not too firmly. My NC lacquer applicator is of rather simple contruction, alu frame that holds three little brass pulleys and rubber Die.

The fuse comes through coil-guide over first brass pulley, goes down to bottom pulley (this one is sumberged in NCL), comes up to third pulley and goes through rubber membrane described above. Also, there's adjustable fixture to mount it on a small coffee can containing NC lacquer...this one is bigger version used for display only. Got it?

I haven't done any excessive experimenting yet, but the NC solution density could be playing certain role here. Namely, we need to soak only outer threads in NCL so that inner threads remain dry. Thickness of the NCL layer could be adjusted by widening the hole in rubber memberane. I've just made mine a bit wider as previous one was wipping off almost every bit of NC....this is not quite true but NC layer was too thin to prevent counterwinding. It's not that fuse wasn't usable, on the contary but I'm esthetic addict.

I know, you probably ask yourself – yeah, he's talking about NC application before any MACHINE is made....but you're terribly wrong. I'll keep you on low heat for a while...

Blaf

Verry, verry nice one Blaf!

I've been messing around to NC-coat my fuse but it's hell. Specially the thickness of my (home made) NC-lacquer is so bad. If its too thin it doesnt coat, if it's too thick it drips.
I'll try and fabricate your whiper-thingy... should work :D

Thanx for the inspiration

Hello Tyneman!

Glad to hear someone else has the same problem. You can use my design as much as you wish to, of course. Maybe thinner rubber membrane would do better but I used what I had at the time of making applicator.
Just go on....

Blaf

• 1 year later...