PyroForum.nl

Metal Dust Fountain

Blaf

Recently I assembled a small fountain wich was fueled by mixture of KNO3, S, Coal dust and iron dust of mixed mesh. The thing worked well, lasted quite long and sparking effect was satisfatctory by my moderate experience. I haven't treated my iron dust with any protection and at my pleasant surprise, nothing bad happened. They (you know them, of course) recommend it, though.
If someone reading this could help by providing me a simple, efficient and practically doable way to protect metal particles from reacting with nitrates, I'll be more than glad to listen...

Blaf

Tnx Pk for quick reply to my quest. My practical knowledge in this is also limited and I thought it would be best to start with small quantities. Theoretically, Boric acid should help supress reaction and if I ever do large scale stuff, I'll add it. Meanwhile, my point of interest is to find an easy way to treat metal dust (Mg, Fe, Zn...) with a protection layer. If you happen top know any simple procedure do not hesitate to let me know, OK?

Tnx again

Blaf

Don't use boric acid!
It will only make your composition more dangerous, boric acid if for Al and nitrates, because they could react to basic amides.
Just coat you Fe with linseed oil like excile said.

OK guys, tnx for your advices. I heard of linseed oil which should be thinned somewhat and warmed up....does anyone know what oil:thinner ratio I should use? And what to do after I dump my powder into solution? Should I stir it or just leave it...and for how long. On top of that, when the powder is soaked entirely, should I filter it or what. C'mon guys, I need complete procedure....

Blaf

POS, you're overreacting, don't you? I wouldn't like to blow a NATO base...but if any base ever blows off I'd like you to be my witness of defense, OK?

Exhile, your advice sounds reasonable. I wondered if I dumped my powder directly into linseed oil, when the powder would dry up...if ever. This slightly oiled pan and weted powder should work OK. I'm gonna try it one of these days and let you know the results.

Meanwhile, I made a little bigger fountain last weekend. One of my nieces had her birthday party and I made it of a convolute cardborad tube perfect for the purpose - an ATM paper roll inner tube. They usually discard it but I asked serviceman to keep them for me. And so, a nice brownish tubes are beeing steadily collected. A simple KnO3, S, C mixture + iron dust and some coarse Al (made of ground Al foil) produced very nicely sparkling volcano, going more than 3 meters up in the air through relatively wide nozzle. The effect lasted not longer than 10 seconds but entire bunch of kids was so excited about it that I had to promise some more in the future.

This much from me for now, tnx POS and Exhile!

Blaf

• 4 weeks later...