PyroForum.nl

Mortars

Blaf

Hello to all!

OK, I have to admit, I already thought about HDPE tubing and visited several shops asking for prices. They were so high that I gave up instantly! Besides, there's no less than 4 meters pieces for sale...and I know - somewhere at some building site hundreds of beautiful tubing chunks probably rotten and wait to be collected. Meanwhile, Nick your comment on inox tubing sound luxurious, heh? No doubt they work perfectly. I just have an idea...those tubes should be detachable from the base so that they could be cleaned...like gun barrels. How about that Nick?

Blaf

Detachable, I like that idea
but you have to seal it proper, or else your explosion energy
is going the wrang way.
Besides that, it is very expensive to buy 4" cylindrical
screw-thread ( 80 euro).
In my opinion is it not necessary to do this,
Because i use that launch pipe for over 4 years now
whitout cleaning it

Nick, let me know what's the inner diameter of your inox tubing. What I have in mind is set of rather small diameter tubes forming a square shaped cluster, fixed on a piece of stabile metal shet. Those will be used as single shot Roman Candles....that's why I was playing with an idea of detachable construction...Besides, it would add a slice of importancy to entire process, wouldn't it? You know - cleaning and maintaining the gear, heh...

Blaf

Good afternoon Blaf,

Oh right, that explaines it

the inner diameter om my inox tube is approximately
90 millimeter.
and my mortars are 88 millimeter in diameter and 200 millimeter in
lenght.
my question to you Blaf is: how high does your mortar go (in meters)

Hello Nick

In fact, I don't have much experience in mortars...I have never fired any shells from it yet. So far I used to make my own Roman Candles made of cardboard tubing and they work perfectly. I'm sure that the same ballistic principles apply on mortars too. On top of that, those carboard ones wear out by the time. So, next logical step is to assemble a small metal cluster of tubing, just for a fun of it....besides they look more proffesional. As for real mortar, well, first I have to find suitable test site! Those you have are Giants compared to my modest setup. As for desired height, I never go over 15 meters with those small diameter comets.
What about your mortars? According to their size, you surely fire shells from them...what heights do you acchieve?

Blaf

Hey Blaf,

My striving is to acchive a heigt of 250 meters.
My current height is about 80 meters ( and rising) , but it wasn't easy to acchive this and certainly not with black powder.
Have you allready thought about your launch and burst mix?

Good morning Nick

What - you're talking meters? 250 m sounds too much for me....more than proffessional I might add. No, I'm not attempting to get such heights with my toys. As for fuel, I'm still on Black Powder in several granulations. Right now, I'm preparing a small set of Roman Candles with various charges for my cousines wedding party...when everything is over I'll start a new topic and post a few photos.

Hay, tell me - do you fire your mortars traditional way through the mouth of the tube or through side hole?

Blaf

Good morning Blaf,

Hay, tell me - do you fire your mortars traditional way through the mouth of the tube or through side hole?  

I always use the traditional way, a 1,20 meter high inox tube.
I've never heard from the 2nd way,
can you explain this?

Hey Blaf, is it an idea to introduce yourself in topic ( ik ben )

greetings nick,

Ah, I meant to fire mortar through a side hole - like Black Powder cannon. But don't pay too much atention on what I say as I have no experience in this.
Well, as for your idea, I'm not sure if the Mighty Gamekeeper would allow anyone to make Personal Introduction Topic..sunds like a commercal...

Blaf

Well, as for your idea, I'm not sure if the Mighty Gamekeeper would allow anyone to make Personal Introduction Topic..sunds like a commercal...  

There's allready a introduction forum, go to
( gamekeeper pyro forum index -> Ik ben )
"Ik ben" means "I'am"
You can tell a little bit of yourself if you like.
like what your interests are and so on